The Office of the CIO Portfolio and Project Management Office (PPMO) exists to provide strategic portfolio management, skilled resources for program/project management, business analysis, change management, performance support and knowledge management, as well as methodology for cross-functional IT projects for Washington University. Activities underway or in development include:
- IT Governance Process Facilitation – supporting the IT governance committees in the process of assessing and prioritizing proposed IT investments to achieve strategic objectives
- Portfolio Management – monitoring the progress of projects in the IT service portfolios, providing relevant and timely information for IT governance, management, project sponsors, and steering committee decision making
- Resource Management Planning – scheduling approved projects and working with technical groups to assess future resource requirements; the PPMO will play a decreasing consulting role in this space as resource planning becomes a core competency in WashU IT
- Project and Program Management – establishing the process and standards for project management and methodology within the organization, and providing skilled project managers to lead strategic cross-functional initiatives; foster a community of practice
- Business Analysis – establishing the process and standards (common activities and deliverables) for business analysis methodology, and providing skilled business analysts to strategic initiatives
- Organizational Change Management including Performance Support, Knowledge Management and Project Communications – providing skilled Performance Support Analysts (PSAs) for projects and service operations; developing instructional resources and communications to prepare and support service users and IT staff to successfully adopt and leverage IT shared services, including the effective distribution and retrieval of information via content management systems.