About Enterprise Architecture
Enterprise architecture consists of the vision, principles and standards that guide the purchase and deployment of technology within an enterprise.
Enterprise architecture is one of the most powerful management tools used by progressive organizations. As a perfect vehicle for making multi-year technology changes, enterprise architecture enables the ongoing alignment of business processes and strategies with the right technology solutions.
Enterprise architecture helps IT and business executives transform data about technology into powerful management insights. Resilient and influential, the right enterprise architecture can set the business direction and help IT stay focused on one vision of the future.
An enterprise architecture (EA) is a conceptual blueprint that defines the structure and operation of an organization. The intent of an enterprise architecture is to determine how an organization can most effectively achieve its current and future objectives.
As a way to improve IT strategy and planning to better align with business goals, Enterprise IT Architecture should be a center of excellence (a shared facility providing leadership, best practices, research, support, training for IT strategy and planning).
Enterprise Architecture Process
Scope of Enterprise Architecture
Enterprise Architecture Functions
- Creates a clear understanding of the strategic requirements of enterprise IT, effectively communicating to leadership, business stakeholders, funding sources, and solution designers.
- Models the future state, which illustrate what enterprise IT should look like across all EA viewpoints in support of the business strategy.
- Develops a road map of the change initiatives required to reach that future state.
- Documents the requirements, principles, standards, and guidelines that will steer the implementation of IT change initiatives.
- Ensures that business strategies come to the forefront of IT decision making.
- Provides structure for designing solutions that reduce total cost of ownership.
- Enables business innovation. Solutions built by applying concepts such as “scalability”, “service oriented” and “strategic” have the best long-term business outcome.